Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 17 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
This quick-cooking grain dish has a touch of sweet and nutty flavors to go with most main dishes
- 1 cup couscous (try whole-wheat couscous)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (4 Tbsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 4 tsp nutmeg and 2 tsp ground cloves) or cinnamon
- 1 and 1/3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 1/2 cup carrots, rinsed, peeled, and shredded or thinly sliced; cut in half
- In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir couscous, olive oil, walnuts, salt, pepper, and spice just until couscous begins to brown.
- Slowly add water, then raisins and carrots. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from the heat, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. Serve immediately.
Find more delicious heart-healthy recipes from