URL of this page: https://jk4u.info/poisonivyoakandsumac.html

Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac

Also called: Ivy poison, Rhus dermatitis, Toxicodendron dermatitis
On this page

Learn More

  • No links available

See, Play and Learn




If you spend time outdoors, chances are you have been bothered by poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac at some point. Most people are sensitive to the plants' oily sap. The sap is in the root, stems, leaves and fruit of these plants. If it gets on your skin, it causes a blistering skin rash. The rash can range from mild to severe, depending on how much sap gets on your skin and how sensitive you are to it. Problems can also happen if the plants are burned. Airborne sap-coated soot can get into the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory system.

The best way to avoid the rash is to learn what the plants look like and stay away from them. If you come into contact with the plants, wash your skin and clothing right away. If you develop a rash, ask your pharmacist about over-the-counter medicines. For severe rashes, see your doctor.

National Park Service

Start Here

  • (Food and Drug Administration) Also in
  • (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in
  • (American Osteopathic College of Dermatology)
  • (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in
  • (American Academy of Dermatology)
  • (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health)

Diagnosis and Tests

  • (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in

Prevention and Risk Factors

  • (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) Also in

Treatments and Therapies

  • (Nemours Foundation)


  • (Logical Images)

Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)

Find an Expert

  • (American Academy of Dermatology)
  • From the National Institutes of Health
  • From the National Institutes of Health Also in


  • (Nemours Foundation)
  • (American Academy of Pediatrics) Also in


  • (Children's Hospital Boston)

Patient Handouts